Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Sweet Tooth!

I have a sweet tooth. My favorite dessert are the Malay and Peranakan kuih muih (cakes). Nowadays it is almost impossible to find a good kuih maker. There are very few and most of them are old. The young refused to learn the skills. They said making kuih is tedious, bothersome and time consuming. So they rather learn how to make some fancy looking confections that pass off as cakes. Such dessert are best left under glass, good to look at rather than for eating. I used to consume them until I found out that there are more chemicals in them than my old chemistry books!

I guess the old people are also to be blamed. They never wrote the recipes down, everything is kept inside the head. Maybe they are afraid that someone will profit form their knowledge. I bought several recipes book about kuih. I am not ashamed to say I was attracted to the skillful photography too.

Interestingly I was told that kuih making has their own pantang (taboo). Imagine that, you can do an Anthropology study just by observing and making delicious kuih!

So if you know a good kuih seller, please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. orrrrrrrrhhh no wonder sakit gigi hor..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ngee.. pakcik ben suka makan manis manis gak ek.. sampai sakit gigi...

    shin suka bikin bisekut.. tp kurang suka makan..

    :)

    ReplyDelete